ACC Thondebhavi, Karnataka
|Part of Project:||Designing Landscape|
|Client Name:||Associated Cement Company|
Landscape Development of ACC Thondebhavi
ACC Thondebhavi Cement Works is set up as a Greenfield project in the picturesque Thondebhavi village, in Gauribidanur Tehsil of Chikballapur District, Karnataka. The Site is located about 60km from Bangalore and lies to the West of Bangalore- Doddaballapur- Gauribidnur Road. This cement grinding plant has a capacity of 1.60 Million Tonnes per annum and produces Fly-ash based Portland Pozzolana Cement.
ACC has invested considerable resources to ensure that the plant maintains the highest possible standards in environment management and is wholly environment-friendly. It is equipped with sophisticated air pollution control systems to stop dust and fugitive emissions. The entire plant stands in a greenery filled campus surrounded by carefully tended landscaped gardens. The area forms an inter-mountain valley lying in between North and South hills with a general elevation of around 720m above MSL. The terrain is undulating with hills & gradual sloping valley in the center.
The landscape design approach was to have a functional landscape conforming to all environmental byelaws, minimizing the dust and noise which are by-products of the industries. Roads have been designed as Boulevards with lush planting to give shade and add color. Pedestrian movement is segregated by providing a continuous pedestrian link throughout the site. Green spaces are created to break the monotony of the road.
The design concept aimed to develop a comprehensive scheme to respond to need for an aesthetically pleasing environment while addressing the following issues
1. To create contemporary interactive open spaces consisting of road side avenues ,sit outs, greens ,sculptures ,water bodies & Fountains framing the vistas camouflaging the built mass
2. Screening of service areas such as engineering blocks
3. Vertical gardens- Non- mechanical elements of the building covered with creepers
4. All open spaces to be covered by either grass or plantation to minimize dust
5. Provide a colorful ever-changing planting scheme using mass planting scheme using mass plantation of flowering & foliage trees, shrubs & so as to have some species blooming at any point of time
6. Cater to outdoor recreation in the form of amphitheater & stage
7. Use existing depression on the site as water features and preserve all natural elements as far as possible.
8. Provide a natural lush landscape using free form to create views from upper floors as well as ground levels.
ACC Thondebhavi has successfully managed to harvest the rain water adhering to its policy of being environmentally sensitive. Precipitation is the main source of recharge to the underlying aquifers. Since the area forms an inter-mountain valley it receives the runoff water from the hills. Hence rain water harvesting is a vital strategy to recharge the ground water table. A large rain water harvesting reservoir is constructed at the lowest point on the site which arrests the surface run off from the entire site. This water is arrested on site in a rain water harvesting reservoir & used to re-charge the aquifers.
A sustainable approach has been adopted in the development of this scheme with the entire focus being to develop a built environment in a natural setting.